What Do I Do If My Employer Doesn’t Have Workers’ Comp?

The Previant Law Firm, S.C.

workers compensation paperWhile Wisconsin requires nearly all employers to carry workers’ compensation insurance for employers, there are a few who meet the requirements, yet fail to provide coverage. In these situations, it can be confusing for you to understand what to do to file a claim after a workplace injury.

In these situations, though, claims rely on the Uninsured Employers Fund. This is a way for you to recover benefits for a compensable claim in the event your employer does not have workers’ compensation insurance when they should.

What is the UEF?

In order to fund the Uninsured Employers Fund, there are penalties assessed against any and all employers who illegally operate without having workers’ compensation when they should. The penalties assessed are non-negotiable. The collection of this penalty helps to ensure individuals receive compensation should they have a compensable claim.

How Do I File a UEF Claim?

When you suffer an injury on the job and you cannot file a workers’ compensation claim through your employer, you can fill out an Uninsured Employers Fund Claim Application. You will still provide the critical documents you would during a workers’ compensation claim.

The documents you provide should include the following:

  • Copies of your pay stubs
  • Medical documentation
  • Bills related to the claim
  • Any documentation proving employer liability

While UEF claims are available, you want to make sure you understand your rights to pursue benefits through a workers’ compensation claim. If your employer has valid insurance, but they’re not working with you, it may be necessary to have a Milwaukee workers’ compensation lawyer on your side.

Our team at The Previant Law Firm, S.C. is here to help you every step of the way. We work quickly to safeguard your rights and pursue the benefits you need through a workers’ compensation claim. If we determine your employer is not carrying workers’ compensation when they should be, you may file a UEF claim.

Call us today to discuss your rights: (414) 240-1185.