What To Do If You’re Involved in a Car Accident
Being involved in a car accident is never a pleasant experience. The following list provides tips on how to proceed immediately after you’re involved in a wreck.
The Steps to Take
If you become involved in an auto accident, there are certain steps you’ll want to take in order to increase your likelihood of a successful personal injury claim.
The following steps can help if you find yourself involved in a car accident:
- Assess your injuries - Check yourself for any injuries. Move with caution, as you may have injuries that don’t immediately present themselves. If you are too injured to move, don’t force it. Stay where you are.
- Call the authorities - Whether there are serious injuries as a result of the accident or not, it is always a good idea to call the police. Be sure that law enforcement takes a report. This documentation can be very useful if you need to file a personal injury claim for your injuries or for your property damages. If the vehicles in the accident don’t interfere with traffic, leave them where they are. If they do, do what you can to move them to a safe place.
- Record all relevant details - Take images from several angles of the damages inflicted. Take images of your vehicle and any other vehicle(s) involved in the crash. Be sure to get a picture of the other vehicle(s) license plate(s) involved in the wreck. In addition, be sure to provide the authorities with as many accurate details as possible. If there is something you don’t know, don’t speculate. Don’t tell the officer you don’t have any injuries if you’re not 100% sure. Otherwise, just say you don’t know.
- Exchange information - Be sure to get the name(s), address(es), insurance details, vehicle registration information, and phone number(s) of all parties involved. It’s also a good idea to obtain information from any witnesses present.
- Seek medical care - It is crucial to do this right away. Not only for your physical health and well-being but also for documentation that can be important to your personal injury claim.
We Can Help
If you find yourself injured in a car accident due to the fault of another, you may have a personal injury case. The highly skilled attorneys at The Previant Law Firm, S.C. have extensive experience in this area of the law and have helped many people through their difficult times. Don’t hesitate to contact our firm with your personal injury case right away.
Call The Previant Law Firm today at (414) 240-1185 to speak with a Milwaukee attorney about your case.