Dealing with the Other Driver’s Insurance Adjuster

Steven Kluender

After a car accident, if the other driver is at fault, you will probably get a call from the insurance company adjuster representing the other driver.  They will most likely tell you that you must give a statement to them in order to open up a claim file.  They will also want you to sign medical releases and wage loss verification forms.  Under no circumstances should you give a recorded or written statement to the other driver’s insurance adjuster.  It is untrue that one must be given before a claim file can be opened.  You can generally state what happened at the time of the accident and your injuries.  Do not sign medical releases because all your medical records will then be open for inspection by the insurance company.

At some point you may have to send selected copies of relevant chart notes or doctor reports but you should control the release of information.  If there are inaccuracies in what you believe are relevant records you should talk to your doctor about correcting those inaccuracies before they are sent to the insurance company.  On your own, have your employer verify wage loss and send it to the insurance company.

If you have your own property damage and you reach a settlement figure with the other driver’s insurance company on fixing your car, be sure that you only settle on the property damage and not for the personal injuries and medical expenses.  They can be settled separately.

Be sure that you always notify your own insurance company as soon as possible after an accident.

If you have questions on worker’s compensation, personal injury, or social security disability, please feel free to call The Previant Law Firm at (414) 240-1185.